Stoke-on-Trent West Labour Labour in Basford, Boothen, Cliffe Vale, Harpfields, Hartshill, Oakhill, Penkhull, Springfields, Stoke, Trent Vale and West End
Black Lives Matter in Stoke-on-Trent
We were delighted to be joined at our latest meeting by a representative of Black Lives Matter (BLM) in Stoke-on-Trent. We had an interesting discussion on increasing equality and diversity in our city. We considered how our party has the power to challenge racial injustices in the country. Our members then decided to make the following statement.
The West Branch of Stoke-on-Trent Central Labour Party notes that:
- Labour is an anti-racist party
- The branch would be stronger if it had increased engagement with all BAME communities in Stoke-on-Trent
- Black Lives Matter is not affiliated to any political organisation.
This branch affirms the Black Lives Matter statement: “No justice, no peace”.
This branch resolves to:
- Work with Black Lives Matter and other local groups to bring equality and justice to the Black communities within our four wards.
- Create a safe space in which members can interact openly and democratically.
- Publicise the safeguarding policies to members so that any racist language or behaviour is dealt with quickly and appropriately.
- Take measures to increase participation of BAME members in the branch, including the branch executive, in our local policy making, campaigning and other activities.
This branch further resolves to:
- Recommend Stoke-on-Trent Central CLP, its affiliates and those units it affiliates with, to engage with Black Lives Matter Stoke-on-Trent.
- Encourage Labour councillors on Stoke-on-Trent City Council Labour Group to make a statement in support of Black Lives Matter Stoke-on-Trent.